Thursday, July 8, 2010

Going Abroad

I was on hold with a mortgage company at work today so I typed in the address of a blog I like to read from time to time. I read through 2 or 3 posts and then clicked the 'Next Blog' button, browsing onto other blogs to pass away some idle time. I came across a couple, who after 50 years in the States, have packed up and moved to Africa. I'm not sure if they are missionaries, apart of a government program (and I suspect not), or if they just decided they needed a change of pace but whatever it is, I'm in awe.

At one point in my life I thought it would be "fun" to go to China to teach kids English or travel to an impoverished country and work at building a better life for the locals. Of course, college and internships and social activities and a "real job" consumed much of my time and that "thought" stayed just that, a thought.

So, I've decided that before the age of 30 I will make it my mission to turn that thought into action, to help improve the quality of life for those who haven't been afforded the same opportunities I have. And after revealing this ephiphany to a friend of mine, it looks like I may have some company on my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment